Any young person – regardless of age – can request to see a Doctor or Nurse independently (without a parent/guardian present). Provided the clinician is happy that the individual is capable of understanding the choices of treatment and the consequences of any treatment given. This includes contraceptive advice.
The practice complies with Data Protection and Access to Medical Records legislation.
We would like to reassure you that every member of staff is trained to ensure that information about you, and any care or treatment you receive from the practice remains confidential.
We will not disclose information about you, your attendances at the surgery or the reasons for those attendances to any other person without your express consent.
However, you should be aware that we have a duty of care towards all our patients and should the Doctor consider there be a risk to either your own health or the general public as a whole he/she may involve other health professionals in your care. This is a very rare occurance and you would always be told that any personal information was to be shared in advance of it happening.
Under normal circumstances identifiable information about you will only be shared with others in the following circumstances:
- To provide further medical treatment for you e.g. from district nurses and hospital services.
- To help you get other services e.g. from the social work department. This requires your consent.
- When we have a duty to others e.g. in child protection cases Anonymised patient information will also be used at local and national level to help the Health Board and Government plan services e.g. for diabetic care.
If you do not wish anonymous information about you to be used in such a way, please let us know and we will record this in your records.
Reception and administration staff require access to your medical records in order to do their jobs. These members of staff are bound by the same rules of strict confidentiality as the medical staff.
This is a Government assessment of the quality of the services we provide for young people. It involves undertaking an assessment of how “Teenage Friendly” our services are and includes such things as whether we train our staff to be friendly, welcoming and approachable towards young people. It also covers displays and notices and information appropriate to Teenagers needs and concerns being made available.
There is a noticeboard and leaflet area dedicated to things teenagers may seek advice and guidance about in the practice. It is situated in the entrance porch.
If you are looking for a particular leaflet, or some information, which you cannot see on the noticeboards – please ask at the reception desk. We are always happy to provide a private area for anyone who is embarrassed or uncomfortable speaking to the staff at the main reception desk but unless you tell us – we wont know !
If you have any ideas or suggestions as to how we can improve our services to teenagers please do not hesitate to let us know – we are keen to improve the services we provide and your help will be invaluable. If you would be prepared to become involved in providing feedback about our services please contact us either in person, by letter or via email – using the contact us section of this website.
You might also find the services listed below useful:
- 739 Sense – 739sense.co.uk/
- Solent NHS Sexual health Service – letstalkaboutit.nhs.uk
- Talk to FRANK – talktofrank.com/
- National Association for Children of Alcoholics – nacoa.org.uk/
- For Children & Young People Living with Domestic Violence – thehideout.org.uk/
- Teen Life Check – teenlifecheck.co.uk/
- There 4 Me – there4me.com/
- Worried? Need 2 Talk? – worriedneed2talk.org.uk/
- Kidscape – kidscape.org.uk/
- Bullying Online – bullying.co.uk/
- National Self-Harm Network – nshn.co.uk/
- Young People & Self-Harm – selfharm.org.uk/
- Young Minds – youngminds.org.uk/
- Like It Is – likeitis.org.uk/
- Brook Sexual Health Advice – brook.org.uk/
- Teenage Freak – teenagehealthfreak.org/
- Youth Health Talk – youthhealthtalk.org/